|This Ring Cycle preparation shit is getting real, folks. They don’t teach you the transposition of the Wagner tuba in Opera Blogger School. FYI, they’re in B-flat.|
- Two finds from my recent Wagner explorations: "Admit it, J.R.R., you used to run around brandishing a walking stick and singing 'Nothung! Nothung!' like every other besotted Oxford lad." From a few years ago, Alex Ross on Wagner and Tolkien.
- And Kristian Evensen takes on Wagner and Star Wars. Hunding = Jabba the Hutt.
- Jeremy Denk on program notes, issuing a challenge for all of us who attempt to write about music.
- Jonas Kaufmann singing the Dichterliebe on the YouTubes. Legality? Dubious. Provenance and date? Mysterious (update: apparently it's from way back in 2001!). But you know you want to hear it. The whole thing's there, split into six parts (part two, part three, part four, part five, part six). Also, could YouTube have an audio only option? I don't like slide shows. (I can minimize the window, I know.)
- From the sublime to the ridiculous: If you’re European you probably already know this, but, hey, Americans and Canadians and everyone! The Eurovision Song Contest was last weekend! Watch lots of hilariously cheesetastic crap here. I particularly recommend Lithuania and Finland. Germany, predictably, is taking their victory VERY SERIOUSLY. (Their crafty strategy was to go radically non-tacky and, miraculously, feature a song that actually isn't that bad.)
- (Opera singers in Eurovision are so last year.)
P.S. I'm going back to the full RSS feed, because I know it's a lot more convenient for many people to read and I want to make it easier for you to partake of my wisdom. Hopefully the content-thievery will not return.